Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Carrie

We had to put my cat, Carrie, down last Friday. She was the first pet that was "mine" (not the family pet). She was my constant companion when Rustin was out of town. She made the drive from Colorado to Texas with Rustin and me. I felt like she was my first "baby." I miss her so much. That may sound silly to someone who doesn't love animals, but people who do understand. She was a part of my family, so I wanted to write a post for her.

Rustin and I got married in March of 2008 and he got Carrie for me for my birthday that June. He says he felt sorry for me that I was living up in Colorado away from my friends and family so that's why he got her :) According to how old she was, we figured she was born around the time when we got married. The Sex and the City movie came out that summer and I was all into it. That's where she got her name. 






She was such a funny cat. When my mom came to visit in Colorado we heard this really loud sound then she came out soaking wet. We realized she fell in the toilet! Then when we lived in our apartment in Addison Circle, I would let her out on the balcony (we lived on the 2nd floor) and leave the door open when the weather was nice. Well one day I heard a noise, looked down and she had jumped off! Luckily there were stores under us, so she landed on the awning. I still don't know how my arm reached all the way down there, but I grabbed her and pulled her back up. She was not allowed on the balcony anymore. 

She never grew out of the silly things cats do when they're kittens. She always "halloween catted" us as we call it (when they arch their back and poof out). She wasn't really scared of much. Even when we brought home Baloo it didn't seem to bother her. In fact, I would say she bullied Baloo haha. 


The day after she was put down was the hardest day I have had in a while. I couldn't take care of Avery and couldn't stop crying. Rustin was so sweet to help out. It's still really hard for me to read any of Avery's books that mention cats or kittens. When a blanket is on the floor or something and I catch it out of the corner of my eye, I think it's her and when I realize it's not, I get really sad. 

I love this poem, "The Rainbow Bridge." Even though it's sad, it somehow makes me feel better:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

-Author Unkown

Goodbye my Carrie Berrie.






3 comments:

  1. Oh Samantha, So sorry to hear about Carrie. She sure was a beautiful cat! It is so hard to lose a loving friend. Thinking of you, Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aunt Deb. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry! Why did y'all have to put her down?

    ReplyDelete