Friday, October 5, 2012

Avery's 1st Birthday

Wow so this post is super late. We had some technical difficulties with the camera/pictures. I was waiting on those to get resolved, but not sure how long that will take, so I'm just going to post them. The camera was on the wrong setting (my fault) so the pictures aren't that great. Rustin and Casey took a lot with the "big" camera, but they are in some sort of format that we can't download without some other software program. At least you'll get the general idea.

At first I compared myself to the other one-year-old birthday parties I've been to or seen on Facebook that reminded me of that show "My Super Sweet Sixteen" because they were so over the top. Part of me feels like I need to keep up, but I really try to keep that part of me in check. Keeping up with everyone in Dallas is as futile as keeping up with the Kardashians!

I wanted something low-key with just family and close friends. And I didn't see the point of having entertainment like a bounce house, pony rides, clowns, etc. For one, Avery is too small to enjoy most of it, or it would have scared the crap out of her. Also, most of my friends are still single, so there wasn't even going to be that many other kids there.

I decided to go with an "owl" theme. Partly because I still think it's cute, but also because I wanted to use decorations from her nursery. Here are a few pictures of the decorations -


I got this banner at Hobby Lobby. They actually had a lot of cute 1st birthday stuff there.


I hung all of her monthly pictures above her high chair. 


My wonderful and talented friend, Sherrie, made the cupcakes and Avery's smash cake. I got the owl cupcake idea off Pinterest and she did the rest!




So Avery was not happy at all for most of her birthday because little did I know, I was poisoning her with whole milk (see previous post for more information on that).


Yeah this pretty much sums it up haha... There was no way I was taking the paci out.


A lot of great family and friends came to wish her a happy birthday -  






So all the pictures of her eating her smash cake are on the other camera. But I think this one is before we had it ready. I tried to tide her over with some crunchies (which she loves). Then distracted her with the smash cake so she'd stop taking her birthday hat off!


For most of the party Avery wore the super cute dress my Aunt Holly got for her. But then she changed to her casual, after-cake onesie. It even has a 1 on it (thanks Hillary).


My parents got her this princess car and she loves it. I think she wasn't too sure about Aunt Andrea touching it. Or maybe she was interested in her wine...


Playing with Myra, Neeraj and Kavli's little girl. 


All her "loot." Thanks again to everyone for making her first birthday special!!


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great party!

    Happy Birthday Avery!!!

    Aunt Deb and Uncle Rich

    ReplyDelete