Thursday, January 23, 2014

Guest Bath Renovation (Sort Of)

I have been DYING to replace the builder mirror with a framed mirror for years, but have been too scared. I've heard horror stories about it being caked with glue on the back and people having to rent these suction machines to get it off. Then of course, it wouldn't be textured behind there, and that scared me too. Rustin had tried to match up texture before in another house and said it was really hard.

So I did what anyone would do in that situation - I consulted all-knowing Facebook and asked if any friends had done it. I was surprised how many had and had no problems! A friend of mine even said she did it BY HERSELF... what?? Another friend made the point that it would have been harder for the builders to texture AFTER hanging the mirror because they would have had to cover it, so it more than likely would be textured.

Armed with this new information, I decided it was time! I taped the heck out of it with leftover painting tape. Side note - it's REALLY hard to get a picture in a narrow bathroom that doesn't look like you're taking a bathroom selfie. Somehow I did it. 



Did I mention I also HATE the light fixture?? That was going too. 

I took off the two brackets at the top and Rustin sort of "straightened out" the brackets at the bottom. We went around the perimeter with a putty knife to loosen it, and like my friends said, it came off pretty easy. Apparently it was only attached with two glue spots.


Obviously the spots weren't textured but that didn't matter because the new mirror would cover it up. So after that, I painted so it would match the rest of the wall. The color is Latte by Sherwin Williams.

Also, I sold the builder mirror on craigslist for $20. The guy who bought it was really nice - he got laid off and has been repurposing mirrors like that to make money. If you take yours down, let me know and I can put you in touch with him.

Rustin and his dad replaced the light fixture (got at Lowe's) and hung the mirror (got at Hobby Lobby for 50% off). And here is the finished product! (Again, really hard to get pictures and NOT be in them..)




We also replaced the nickel towel holder with a bronze one I got at Target after I took those pictures.


There is still a lot I want to do in there like replace the nickel faucet, the counter, tile, cabinets and redo the tub, but one thing at a time right? I really am so glad I finally did this though. It was a low cost and low labor way to make a huge difference! 

No comments:

Post a Comment