Sunday, July 24, 2011

Baby Shower

I'll be honest - I've always thought baby showers were awkward and boring. I never had a clue what any of the presents were (I mean what is an exersaucer??), and I would always lose at the games because I had no idea what baby food tastes like nor did I know the appropriate size of a pregnant woman's belly when they played the streamer game. My streamers were always WAY longer than everyone else's, and I don't think the moms-to-be liked the idea that I apparently thought they were huge (which I didn't).

A friend of mine pretty much threw a house party for her shower. It was a couples shower at night and everyone just hung out. Aside from bringing a baby gift, you would think you were just at a normal party, which was a lot of fun! I thought of doing that, but realized that my grandma and other family probably wouldn't be able to come to something that late in Dallas, and I really wanted them there. As much as I wanted a "fun" shower, I also wanted a traditional one. So as it turns out, my shower was much like the showers I had deemed "boring" in the past, but when it's yours, it's different...I had an amazing time!!

The girls who hosted my shower did a great job!! I'm very thankful that we've all stayed friends for so long. Sarah and Kat's mom (Mammie) also hosted, which I thought was so nice, and Angie's sweet mom opened her home for us, which is also the same place I had my wedding shower!

Here are a few pictures of the decorations. First, the cake. "Baby cake," as I've called it for years, has long been my favorite, and this one did not disappoint! Mammie got it at Aunt Glenda's, which is a bakery in Wichita Falls and is the same place that made my wedding cake.
They also made the yummiest food! And Jana made a diaper cake, which I am still very impressed by! She's going to have to teach me how to do that.
They also made fake mimosas. (They kept warning people they were fake so they weren't "disappointed" when they drank them haha!)

My family from Wichita Falls came, and since Rustin's family lives in Waco now, his mom was also able to come!

And then the presents... I feel like this is the most awkward part since I don't like being the center of attention, and I felt like I was opening all of them in slow motion. But once I got going it was a lot of fun! Now that I know what stuff is, I LOVE baby stuff!! It's all so cute and tiny! Andrea did a great job of recording all the gifts!

Rustin acted like he didn't like this outfit...but he does.
My grandma bought our bedding for us. I'll post pics of the nursery when I get it all done, but we chose the Hayley bedding from Pottery Barn Kids, which I fell in love with the moment I saw it! Since the bumper was so big, she already gave us that and brought the rest to the shower.

Anyway I think you get the point...I opened presents. I am always blown away at things like this (well this is only my second shower, but still) at the generosity of other people. Everyone was SO incredibly thoughtful, and some people who couldn't be there even mailed their gifts! I'm surprised I didn't cry!

I had to get pics with some of the guests. There were more I wanted to get pictures with, but my camera died. I guess I should have stolen Andrea's sooner.

Here are the "Koerner Sisters" (they hate that haha).  

All of our husbands work at Lucidity. I'm thankful Rustin works at such a fun place so we can hang out with cool people!

This is Dana. She leads our church home group with her husband. We are very thankful for both of them and how they pour into our lives and embody Christ's love so well. 

And the hostesses - Andrea, Jana, Sarah, Kathryn and Angie

It was such a great day! I feel like there are very few times in your life when all your friends and family come together. I mean besides your wedding and showers, when else are you this lucky? I really can't say how thankful I am to everyone who came, and to my wonderful friends who threw it! Avery will have great "aunties"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment