Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Prenatal Testing Update

I had my first set of tests done yesterday. Pretty much everything is fine so far from what I understand. I love my doctor, but it seemed like the rest of the staff wasn't communicating. When I came in, they asked me what I was supposed to have done. (Aren't they supposed to know?) I told them I knew I was going to have NST and BPPs done but wasn't sure if I was supposed to have both that day or not (and I didn't know what a BPP was). The lady was nice and found out for me though. So I started with the BPP.

I still have no idea what it stands for, but the BPP is the ultrasound. It was so fun to see Avery again although she's so big, it's hard to make out what you're looking at. I felt like Rachel on Friends when she's sad because she can't see her baby! Rustin came with me, and we both got nervous at one point because the lady kept looking and not saying anything for a really long time. Well come to find out, she was waiting for the baby to move, and Avery was apparently asleep! She told me I'm supposed to eat something right before I came, but no one had told me that so it had been a couple of hours since I ate. She said if I will do that from now on, the baby will move sooner and we won't be in there as long...whew! And yes, she's still a girl. I had this fear they were going to tell me the last ultrasound was wrong and it's a boy. Rustin said if that happened, he'd have to like a pink nursery haha.

Then I had to do the NST. So they hooked me up to a machine and measured contractions and the baby's heartbeat. After about 30 minutes the lady came back in there and got the paper the machine had printed off. She asked if the baby moved, and I said yes, so she asked why I didn't press the button. I had no idea what she was talking about and politely told her that, although she sort of looked at me like she did tell me and I forgot. Luckily Rustin was there to assure me that I was not going crazy - he hadn't heard her tell me that either. I guess I know for next time! She then told me I was having contractions, but I told her I didn't feel them. She said they might just be Braxton Hicks. Maybe I am feeling them and just don't know what contractions feel like, but I'm guessing if they were real labor contractions, I couldn't mistake them. Anyway she took the paper to a doctor, who said everything was fine.

So now I will go back Thursday and do the NST again and see my doctor, and will keep doing this twice a week until she arrives :)

Here are some of the pictures from the ultrasound...

No comments:

Post a Comment