Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Name

Yes, we finally decided on a name...

Avery Shae Andrews

It was something I was scared we'd never agree on. Pretty much since we first got married, Rustin wanted to name his child Ocean. I told him this was never going to happen, but that didn't seem to make him give up the dream. Luckily I got him to move on to other options, but unfortunately they were - how shall I say this - not my taste. He liked Bravery, Asia and August to name a few. At one point he suggested us naming her a symbol like Prince. My top favorites were Ava and Stella, but he vetoed those. He finally decided he liked Avery and Addison, and at that point, I was just happy they were actual names (maybe that was his plan all along??) so I told him he could pick out of those two, and he chose Avery. I also liked two middle names - Grace and Shae - and told him if he liked them, he could pick that too, and he chose Shae.

I'm not sure if Shae is an uncommon name or what, but when we tell people that is her middle name they sort of give us a puzzled look and ask how we're going to spell it. I didn't want to spell it Shea because a teacher I worked with has a daughted named Shea and she told me not to spell it that way because everyone pronounces it "shee-uh." Another reason I wanted to spell it with an -ae is because my middle name is Rae and I liked that it was similar :)

Even though I think of Avery and Shae as both female names, I realize they are traditionally male names. Oh well what can I say - her mom's name is Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment