Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patty's Day

There are few traditions in Dallas as big as the annual St. Patty's Day Parade. I think I've gone almost every year since moving here except for the year Rustin and I got married right around this time.

I read an article the other day saying 100,000 people come to it. But this year it almost didn't happen because the city didn't have enough money. Luckily we have one cool owner of a Dallas sports team. Mark Cuban donated $40,000 to make it happen.

I thought of not going this year. I'm old and have a baby now. But if Mark Cuban is going to fork out that kind of money I need to go right?? 

So I woke up this morning, put SPF 85 on (and still got super burned), and left Avery in the good hands of Rustin's parents.

Casey (Rustin's brother) came to town and we met up with Andrea, Dena and Jana. They had all run the 5K in the morning. That is one tradition I have never done and didn't plan to start this year.

The ladies-

Rustin looking "cool" -

Casey's editing handiwork-

We had fun hanging out at the parade and that's when I should have gone home. I realized something today - I'm old. I don't want to deal with 100,000 drunk people wearing green. Example - we got stopped and were asked which superhero was our favorite - Peter Pan or Robin Hood. (What??) The guy wouldn't let us pass until we answered and gave him a high five. 

Anyway back to the part where I should have gone home and didn't. Instead of going to eat somewhere nearby, we decided to venture close to Lower Greenville where the block party was. If you're not familiar with the block party, think Bourbon Street in New Orleans at Mardi Gras. We walked for miles and miles (or it seemed like it). Then waited in line for years at Snuffer's. We got re-energized with food but then... had to walk back. I haven't been that exhausted since I had Avery.

I learned that I just don't enjoy crowded craziness anymore. I guess I wanted to still enjoy it so I could consider myself young. But let's face it. I'm old and I'm ok with it.

Until next year, St. Patty's Day... I will probably celebrate you from my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment