Monday, May 21, 2012

Confessions Part 1

Sometimes I feel like every other mom but me has it all together. It seems they have perfect babies who never cry and sleep all the time. What has been my saving grace is my ONE friend who had a baby as difficult as Avery. Hearing her stories make me think that maybe I'm not such a bad parent.

Anyway I thought I would write this post in case there's any other not-so-perfect moms out there in hopes it might make them feel better. So here goes...

- Avery cries. Not too long ago a friend said to me that she can't remember the last time her baby cried. Avery cries several times a day. Not for long periods anymore (the first few months it was non stop), but it happens. I don't think a day has passed since she came home from the hospital that she hasn't cried.

- For the first 5 months of her life I had to bounce her on an exercise ball until she fell asleep, then put her (swaddled) into her swing which was already turned on full blast. Usually she would wake up and the process would need to be repeated several times. If she didn't sleep in her swing, she slept next to me. And no, it did not create a bad habit. Now she sleeps unswaddled in her crib every night and for every nap just fine.

 - Her naps are usually only 45 minutes. This used to drive me insane. I read every book and Internet article I could get my hands on. I tried everything they suggested. Nothing worked. To go along with that - she is not on a perfect schedule. I tried it. I'm not anti-Babywise, it just didn't work for us. Avery just does not have the temperament to be on an exact schedule. I started enjoying life a lot more when I stopped obsessing about it. 

- I was a hermit until the last few months because she cried at the top of her lungs any time I took her somewhere. I just got the guts to take her to the church nursery last weekend...at 8 months old. People who don't have difficult babies probably thought I was anal. But I just knew that she would cry and wouldn't stop until I got her home and put her down to sleep.

- I'm not a health nut. Yes,  I try to eat healthy but my diet consists of more than just organic fruits and vegetables. Growing up I remember eating "sugary" cereals like Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Fruit Loops and loving them. We didn't go out to eat or eat fast food much - my mom mostly cooked- but to this day she still cooks veggies with grease. But neither my brother nor I have been obese or had health problems. I like to eat donuts on Saturday mornings every now and then and nothing tastes better on a hot day than an ice cold Coke. Having Avery has made me want to eat healthier and of course I'm not feeding her McDonald's or anything, but will she at some point eat a Happy Meal? More than likely. Will we go out occasionally on Saturday mornings for donuts? Absolutely.
If God chooses to let me live a long life but I go at 87 instead of 88 because of my meal choices, so be it. Enjoying my food was worth it.

- I feed her formula. I talked in a previous post about why she stopped nursing so I won't go into it. But I feel like that's the #1 thing moms judge other moms on.

- I failed at making my own baby food. All my friends talked about how easy it was, but it was stressing me out. Also (this may sound weird if you don't know me) but I have this disease where my esophagus is really small and I choke easily, and I think Avery has the same disease. I couldn't get the food pureed enough and she started choking. I also don't buy the most expensive organic baby food. It's all Gerber in this house.

- She has a pacifier. She probably will for a while.

- I hold her when she wants to be held. Some of the books say it creates a bad habit. All I know is that there will come a day when she won't want me to hold her anymore. She's only little for such a short time. I already miss when she would take naps with me.

- I watch TV. I don't sit in front of it all day (who has time?) but I have it on while I'm playing with Avery. I guess since we're home by ourselves, the noise makes me feel connected to the rest of the world. I haven't let her watch TV - as in shows for her like Baby Einstein. I'm trying not to until 2 years (not sure that will happen) but after that, yes she will watch some TV. When I was little, I had all Disney movies memorized. I don't have ADD and I know how to interact with others.

- If we're in a public place and she's not happy - anything goes. She can chew on whatever I can find in my purse if the toys aren't fun anymore. I have also been known to feed her tons of puffs. But one serving is like 80 pieces so that's ok right??

- I am usually wearing no makeup, workout clothes, and hair in a ponytail. I don't have the energy to get dressed up to just be at home or go to the grocery store. Showers usually happen at the end of the day when she goes to bed.

- I nap when Avery naps. I know I should be cleaning or doing laundry or some Pinterest project. I don't. I sleep. 

That's all I can think of for now. I'm not sure there will be other confessions but just in case, I wanted to leave it open. Hopefully this encouraged another "not-so-perfect" mom out there.

3 comments:

  1. Samantha, what a wonderful piece! This week we're doing the same thing with Layla and Hailey (they're with us in Virginia for 1-1/2 weeks). We're just going with what works! I still think you should write professionally...

    Love you, Aunt Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Samantha, You write so beautifully, but you are way too hard on yourself. You've heard the expression, 'they don't come with an instruction book'. You know why? No two babies/children/people are exactly alike - that's why there are millions of instruction books! So we are all resigned to do 'what works' for OUR child. Guess what! The next child will be different still. And you will still be a great mother! Oh the stories we all have, like turning our whole bodies to talk to someone so we don't have to smell baby barf on our shoulder. Why? Because we haven't had time to take a shower yet! All you can do is stay calm (your mother was good at that) and remind yourself that children have growing phases ... they go in and out of them throughout their lives. Some you miss (like napping together), others - not so much (like 'fussy time' or spitting up on your shoulder). Eventually, it passes and you are in the next phase. You are a loving, caring, nurturing mother. Give yourself credit and a pat on the back!!! Love you, Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam - I love this post!! You are so real. You are a wonderful, loving mom and that's what is most important to Avery. The thing that has helped me the most is to realize that most moms are out there to convince you that their baby is the happiest and healthiest baby. We all know that not every child is the happiest, so I've learned to not really listen to what most people say about their children b/c it stresses me out! I don't want to keep up with the Jones of the baby world.

    Blake doesn't sleep through the night consistently, she cries if anyone holds her but James or me and forget eating only organic or even making her food!I don't have any more free time and gerber/earths best is obviously very good at it! It also helped me to quit googling everything i wondered about with Blake... our parents didn't have google and we turned out just fine. In the end, I know Blake will be a happy girl if she is loved, fed and played with. I can handle that part of parenting and I know you are a super start at that too!

    ReplyDelete