Sunday, July 20, 2014

"Antiquing" in Wichita Falls

I had to have a "talk" with my mom about not telling me about the cool antique shops downtown :) I had no idea they were down there! I don't like antique stores that sell actual antiques that are super expensive. I like shabby chic/vintage "junk" and there were several stores with exactly that. My favorite was Alley Cat Vintage Mercantile. There was a TON of stuff there! I thought I would have to come back to be able to look at everything since I didn't think Avery could make it that long, but they have three cats that live in the store so she had a blast walking around trying to find them and petting them. I didn't end up getting anything there but plan to make it a regular stop when I'm in town.

We ventured down a few doors to another store. Avery found a stuffed Simba that my mom got her (and has not let out of her sight since), and I found another copy of As You Like It for $1. (I explained why I'm collecting these for Arden in this post.) 


At a different store I found an old Baptist Hymnal for $1 which was exactly what I needed for my project...

I bought this at another store in WF - Aint That Shabby for $10.


I knew it needed something and thought a pennant banner would be perfect. I was going to use just old book pages, but when I found the hymnal, I liked that idea even better. I went through and picked out pages of my favorite hymns to use for the pennants and made the banner.



I still had the rest of the hymnal though so I decided to tear the cover off and make a book stack. I got this idea from a friend from church. She explains the how-to on her blog.



I'm excited about my purchases and am glad I am getting some projects done because I know in about two months I will be out of commission for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment