Friday, July 11, 2014

My {Tentative} Birth Plan

So I wasn't really that happy with how things went during Avery's birth. I wrote about some of it on this post but there was some I left out. It was just incredibly uncomfortable laboring at the hospital. They had me hooked up to machines to monitor Avery's heartbeat. Well whenever I would roll over on my side to sleep, right when I would drift off they would come in and wake me up because the machines couldn't pick up her heartbeat. So I didn't sleep at all that night. Plus they wouldn't let me eat anything and then pumped me full of pain meds (because they wouldn't check me to see if I was ready for my epidural, which I clearly was). Needless to say after not eating for almost 24 hours, getting medicine in my system I don't react to well anyway, and then oh yeah - BIRTHING A CHILD - I felt horrible!

Brutal honesty here - before I had her I sort of judged the moms who wanted to go all natural. First of all, all of them who I knew who said they were going to ended up getting an epidural anyway. Plus it seemed like they toted it like some badge of honor, but it's not like my husband goes to the dentist and gets a root canal without anesthesia. It just seemed like they wanted to be able to say they did it and for the life of me, I didn't see how that was worth it.

Ok ok if you're mad at me, this is the part where I eat my words. After having Avery I totally get why someone would want to go natural. So I actually thought about having her at a birthing center. Well that ended quickly when I found out insurance wouldn't cover ANY it. I can't say I'm to the point where I think I can go natural this time (although I pretty much did - not meaning to - the first time) but I am going to do things differently.

First, I plan to labor at home as long as possible. This is of course assuming I don't have to be induced or anything like that this time. Love technology because apparently they have apps that will time your contractions for you, so I'll be able to tell when it's time. Rustin says he doesn't want to be "that guy" delivering a baby on the side of the road, but the hospital is about 4 miles from us, so I'm not too worried.

When I start feeling the contractions I am going to EAT. Now I know it's not a good idea to scarf down a whole pizza, but I'm going to eat something. Probably peaches. If you don't know, that has been my pregnancy craving and I eat them all the time.

Another thing I was incredibly unhappy with at the other hospital (we are delivering at different hospital this time) is I feel like they didn't listen to me. I really wanted to breastfeed. So I didn't want her to have a pacifier or bottle and I wanted to feed her every 2 hours. Well they wanted to take her to the nursery so I could "get some sleep." I was so out of it I said ok but asked them to bring her back in 2 hours. Well I woke up in a panic, looked at the clock and it had been way over 2 hours. I called the nursery and they said "oh yeah she was hungry so we just gave her a bottle." Grrrrrrr. The hospital we are delivering at this time is much more "mom/baby" friendly and prefers the baby to stay in the room.

Aside from the epidural (which let's be honest, is probably still going to happen) I'm going to make it very clear I don't want any pain meds except ibuprofen. I just can't tolerate them. I am also going to have my anti-nausea medicine on hand. Last time I had to wait while trying NOT to throw up for them to call my dr to get the ok to give it to me.

As I write all of this I am reminded of this verse: The heart of a man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. Proverbs 16:9
I may have all these plans, but I still know nothing may go as I "want" it to. I may have to be induced again or I may have to have a c-section. Praying against those but know I can't control it. At the end of the day if a healthy baby girl is what I get at the end then it doesn't really matter.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same dentist analogy when I had Clare, then had a bad birth experience. With the second I went at a birthing center because it was cheaper. Yes, I did it without drugs, but honestly I feel I should get the badge for the first because that one was harder even with an epidural!
    I felt in control with Nolan and that made it so much better. You will do great no matter what!

    ReplyDelete