Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hospital Visit

As I talked about in my last post, I went to the hospital for my ultrasound today, and it was a... MESS!!

During this pregnancy I have been trying really hard not to complain although I have wanted to several times about the heat or how I live at the doctor's office. But I have friends who can't get pregnant or have been on bed rest for several months or who have had miscarriages so who am I to complain when I'm pregnant with a healthy baby girl? BUT there just might be a hint of complaining in this post...

I go to the hospital and they have absolutely no record of me. Apparently my doctor's office didn't send over anything. (I guess they forgot?) The receptionist makes phone calls to several depts. to check, but nothing. If it was something for just me, I would have said forget it and just left, but since it was for the baby, I wasn't leaving without an ultrasound. I had been listening to a sermon from Matt Chandler (our pastor) from a few weeks ago. He was talking about how you aren't the point, and how when things don't go your way, it's a lot easier to deal with if you realize it's not all about you. I kept thinking of this and it kept me positive... for a little while.

Since it's Sat. I had to page the on-call doctor. I tried to do that but they told me I had to have the nursing staff call for the doctor to be paged (apparently I didn't have the power). When we finally got doctor's orders, they didn't know if they should send me to radiology or labor and delivery. They chose the latter. (I am summarizing about an hour of back and forth in this paragraph.)

I finally get to labor and delivery. The first lady said she didn't know why they didn't send me up there in the first place since I'm pregnant. Also she had no idea why I was there and I had to explain. Then the lady doing my ultrasound came down and didn't understand why I wasn't in radiology (and also had no idea why I was having an ultrasound). Because I was in labor and delivery, I was "admitted" to the hospital. I got a bracelet and they even brought me lunch. I was confused by that, but she told me I might as well eat it because it will be part of my bill.

So... after 3.5 hours and a bill I can only imagine, I left. The good news is they said the baby looks great. My fluid is the same. They said she was very reactive and weighs 5 lbs 9 oz. My first reaction was frustration because I feel like I have been getting these tests done twice a week for several weeks now (which involves me driving 30 mins each way to McKinney), and then the circus today, for nothing. Everything has always been fine. The cynical side of me wonders if it's just the doctors trying to get more money.

But then I ask myself - what I would rather have? Did I want them to tell me something was wrong with her? Absolutely not! So why am I upset that it was good news?

Today was definitely a test of my patience and attitude. For the most part, I would say I failed the test, but after calming down (and therapy blogging :) I am very grateful my little girl is ok and I will finally be able to meet her in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment