Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Confessions Part 2

Well I figured I needed part 2 of my confessions... after all Usher did. (Now I can't stop singing that song.)

I don't know if any of you are Office fans, but on a recent episode Pam came in wearing old jeans and a sweatshirt because she was going to paint the warehouse. Unaware of that fact, Dwight says "It's finally happened. Pam has ceased caring." I chuckled at first, and then realized that may be me.

I used to care so much about how I looked even if it was just to go to the grocery store. I'm not one of those girls who can pull off the "natural look" so I usually wouldn't leave the house unless I had on at least eye liner and mascara.

As I left Hobby Lobby today wearing gray sweat pants, Uggs, hair in a ponytail and no make up, I realized that is what I wear every time I go in there. And any time I go anywhere else. I wonder if people think that is my uniform for the weird daycare I work at where I only care for one child. I can't even fool people into thinking I'm going to work out because I'm wearing "cute gym clothes." I just look homeless.

Tonight I washed my hair, not because I am going somewhere tomorrow (when I worked I always washed in the morning so it would be fresh for the day) but simply because it's been days since I last washed it and for sanitary reasons, I figured I should. I'm probably not going to dry it and will put it back up in my normal messy bun tomorrow.

Speaking of hair, I've grown it long for the first time in years simply because it's easier to hide dirty hair when it's long. I have several "jeweled" head bands I can put on with hair in a bun and it looks all fancy, but in reality it's super oily. Oh and dry shampoo is my best friend.

I used to do my nails because I wanted them to be pretty. Now the only reason I mess with them is when they get too long and I start scratching Avery. Oh and we don't even want to talk about my toes. Pedicures? Ha! Luxury from the past. Not only that, no one sees them right now because it's winter...so let's just leave it at that.

I can't count how many times in the early morning (usually when Avery decides to wake up at 5am) I've driven to Starbucks in my pjs. If they're lucky I brush my hair, but not usually my teeth.

Part of my problem is I don't care, but part of my problem is I have no time! I realize it's my choice to not wake up before Avery does, but I just don't have it in me. First, I can't bring myself to set an alarm clock. I birthed an alarm clock 16 months ago and it has NEVER failed to go off... not even on the weekends or holidays.

I just feel like if, by some grace of God, Avery sleeps till 7am I take it as a wonderful blessing and feel it would be blasphemous to squander that extra sleep He has so graciously given me.

I know moms who wake up hours before their kids. They take a shower, put on makeup and normal clothes (jeans, not sweats) and fix their hair. I look up to those moms the way men look up to their favorite sports stars. I am in awe of them and realize I will never attain that level.

In the meantime I am thankful I have a husband who, for some unknown reason, doesn't care if I look awful because he says he likes the "natural look." I guess that's the good part about marrying someone from Colorado and not from Dallas.

If you see me out, please don't judge me. Just pretend that I always look the way I do in the Facebook pictures I post (not the ones I'm tagged in).

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Samantha, you are so funny. That's what living in Dallas will do to you. As wonderful a city that it is, it can sure make you feel guilty for not always being "on". Count your blessings girl and quit beating yourself up. You are fabulous!!! and beautiful!!! au naturel!!! Love you, Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete